Established in memory of the late Dr Donald Rix for his many achievements and exemplary physician leadership exhibited throughout his life and career, this award recognizes lifetime achievement so outstanding as to serve as an inspiration and a challenge to the medical profession in British Columbia.
Nominees may have achieved distinction in one or more of the following ways:
- Supported lifelong learning opportunities.
- Promoted excellence in medical education.
- Built consensus among physicians and groups of physicians.
- Provided leadership for new initiatives both in business and clinical practice.
- Provided leadership and service to the general community or province either by direct support or through philanthropy.
- Provided service to the medical profession through participation in Doctors of BC.
- Provided leadership to the broader medical community.
- Participated in legislative and other political activities in support of health care.
Doctors of BC members can nominate a member in good standing for the award, however nominees cannot currently sit as a Doctors of BC elected officer, a member of the Doctors of BC Board of Directors, a member of the Awards Committee, or as an active employee of the Doctors of BC.
How to nominate:
The nomination process requires that the nominator:
- Obtains two letters of support and a curriculum vitae for the nominee.
- Submits the nomination application either by:
- downloading and completing the PDF here and sending all nomination materials to email@example.com; or,
- completing the online application form and attaching all nomination materials here.
- Submits all nomination materials by the nomination deadline 11:59 PM on November 30, 2020.
Review of Nominations:
- Nominations are initially reviewed by the Awards Committee at their meeting in December. Only 1 candidate for the award will be selected.
- The Committee submits their candidate to the Doctors of BC Board of Directors for their review and approval in January.
- In February, the successful candidate is contacted and informed of their selection as well as the ceremony details for accepting their award. Nominators for the unsuccessful nominations will also be notified.
The names of the awardees are generally made public during the month of December.
Awardees will receive the medal during the awards ceremony at the Doctors of BC Annual General Meeting in December or it can be mailed out after the ceremony at the request of the recipient.