Taking action on the proposed federal tax changes
Doctors of BC is advocating against proposed federal tax changes that, if implemented:
- Will have a negative impact on doctors to run their practices as small businesses in a sustainable manner
- Will also be felt by the patients who may be faced with reduced access to doctors and the medical services they provide
Doctors of BC, working with the Canadian Medical Association, wants to see the federal government drop its proposed federal tax changes. We are happy to engage in a full consultation on this and other key issues of importance to the profession as we move forward.
You can read more about what we have to say on this critical issue here, as well as in a President’s Letter and the President’s Blog.
For more detailed information on what the changes may mean for you, see the following documents from the Canadian Medical Association:
What we are doing
Doctors of BC is taking a decisive leadership role in advocating for the medical profession in BC.
Our actions include:
- Preparing a submission to the federal government consultation.The submission deadline is October 2, 2017.
- Sharing the stories you are sending us – in our submission to the government, on our blogs, and through social media.
- Ensuring a leading and strong presence on social media and in digital communications. Follow us on Twitter and Like our page on Facebook.
- Working with the Canadian Medical Association and the Provincial Territorial Medical Associations to align our activities on all fronts and to maximize reach and influence.
What you can do
The voice of individual physicians is critical to successfully influence change in decision-making.
Here are some suggestions on how you can help:
- Send us your stories. Tell us how the proposed changes will impact you and your patients. We are collecting them and will be including them into the submission and on our website/social media. E-mail them to firstname.lastname@example.org or post them on our Facebook page.
- Write a letter to your MP. Download a letter template here (.docx). If you can, call your MP and arrange a meeting
- Be active on social media. We are seeing more and more opinion pieces and news articles supporting our position on the proposed tax. You can help expand the reach by sharing them and posting yourself as well. Use the hashtag #taxfairness to join the discussion.
- Here are some suggested tweets:
Proposed Fed. Tax changes will hurt doctors and their patients. We urge @Bill_Morneau @JustinTrudeau to reconsider! #TaxFairness
Federal Tax changes neg. affect small biz, including doctors. Why it's the wrong thing to do via @DoctorsofBC https://tinyurl.com/yajp79gp
- We're also providing a graphic for your use on Twitter. (Right click to save the image to your computer)
We've been hearing directly from members on how the proposed tax changes would impact them and their practice. In the coming weeks we will continue sharing your stories on the President’s Blog.
For more information
Have a question or concern? Connect with us at email@example.com.
We will be updating this page regularly.