WorkSafeBC and ICBC permits Telehealth (video and telephone) for anything that does not require a physical exam/assessment.
If physicians encounter problems, they should contact the regular ICBC/WorkSafeBC contact (ICBC Health Care Inquiry Unit at 1-888-717-7150 and WorkSafe BC Health Care Services at HCSINQU@worksafebc.com). These changes are in effect until an end date can safely be determined.
Guides and supports offered through the Doctors Technology Office to help physicians utilize virtual care technology can be found here
New COVID-19 Office Visit Codes
UPDATED MARCH 20, 2020
- Two new, temporary office visit fees (T13701 and T13702) have been introduced for physicians treating patients with suspected or active COVID-19 symptoms, one with test and one without test. The fees are payable only for in-office visits with patients displaying suspected or active COVID-19 symptoms.
- They are not payable in addition to another face-to-face visit for the same patient on the same day. However, they can be billed in addition to a telephone or video visit on the same day.
Details on new fees can be found here
Updates for Family Physicians
UPDATED OCTOBER 1, 2020
- T10040 Respiratory immunization for patients 19 years of age or older
i) Payable for Influenza (using ICD-9 code V048) and Pneumococcal (using ICD-
9 code V05) immunizations.
ii) Payable in full with an office visit.
iii) If the primary purpose of the visit is for immunization, bill fee item 00010
using ICD-9 code V048 for influenza and/or V05 for pneumococcal.
- The Daily volume limit for in-office care for office visits, counselling, and complete examinations will be reinstated effective October 1, 2020, as per the Provincial Health Officer.
- Services directly related to COVID-19 should include diagnostic code C19.
- New temporary fee code T10050 COVID-19 Perioperative Complexity surcharge has been added to the General Surgery fee guide, implemented on October 1, 2020. See details here.
Temporary COVID-19 Fee Codes for family physicians include:
- T10040 -- Respiratory immunization for patients 19 years of age or older
- T13706 -- New Family Practice Delegated Patient Telehealth Management Fee
- T13707 -- New Family Practice Email/Text/Telephone Medical Advice Relay or ReRX Fee
- T13708 -- New Family Practice COVID-19 communication with specialist and/or allied care provider
- Temporary age-adjusted telehealth fee codes for family doctor visits (0100 series equivalents), counselling (0120 series equivalents), and consultations(0110 series equivalents) done by phone or video came into effect June 1, 2020 and have the same value as the in-person fee codes for similar patient encounters. These fee codes are to be used regardless of the physician’s location (home, office, or Health Authority approved facility). Business Cost Premium (BCP) will apply to the temporary telehealth fee codes.
The GPSC and BC Family Doctors co-hosted a webinar explaining these changes on May 28. For more information or to view a recording, visit the GPSC website.
Additional billing changes for Family Physicians include the allowance of Telehealth for:
- 00114 Long Term Care Facility Visit
- 00127 Palliative Care Patient Facility Visit Fee
- (14050-53, 14250-53) Chronic Disease Management fees allow the minimum two visits to be delivered via telehealth, with the agreement to revisit the change in December 2020.
- 14066 Personal Health Risk Assessment 14066 can now be billed when the visit is provided via telehealth.
For helpful Q&A, please visit the BC Family Doctors website.
More information and a downloadable billing cheat sheet can be found on the BC Family Doctors website.
Updates for Specialist Physicians
UPDATED OCTOBER 1, 2020
New temporary fee code T10050 COVID-19 Perioperative Complexity surcharge has been added to the General Surgery fee guide, implemented on October 1, 2020. See details here.
See “Payment for Video and Telephone Visits” (above) for information on billing with existing telehealth codes or for billing face-to-face codes via telehealth
See “COVID-19 Office Visit Codes” (above) which can be billed by any physician
Four temporary fee codes were added to the Specialist Services Committee (SSC) fee guide:
- T10000 Urgent Specialist Advice on patient with previous visit/service
- T10007 Specialist Email/Text/Telephone Medical Advice Relay or ReRX Fee
- T10008 Urgent Specialist COVID-19 Advice
- T10009 Non-Urgent Specialist Advice on patient with previous visit/service
Details on these fees can be found here.
FAQ available here (updated May 11, 2020).
Billing Changes FAQs
UPDATED OCTOBER 21, 2020
- Frequently asked questions and further information available here.