Important Travel Insurance implications during the COVID-19 outbreak
Johnson has made the decision as of March 13, 2020 to pause the selling of new MEDOC & Prestige Travel Insurance and Trip Cancellation/Interruption products, while they continue to evaluate the impact of Coronavirus on their travel insurance coverage.
Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption Insurance Coverage Already in Place
Travel insurance policies, including MEDOC, typically exclude coverage where the insured is aware, on the date they book travel, of any event that may prevent the insured from travelling as planned. As the Coronavirus outbreak has now been declared by the World Health Organization as a global pandemic, Trip Cancellation and Trip Interruption coverage:
- Does not extend to any travel booking made on or after a formal travel advisory is issued;
- For members who departed on a trip before a formal advisory is issued, trip interruption coverage is limited to a period of 10 days from the date of the travel advisory or formal notice was issued, or to a period that is reasonably necessary for your to safely evacuate the country, region and area.
- Trips booked after a destination or cruise receives a formal travel advisory are not covered for trip cancellation or interruption.
- Trip cancellation due to concerns around travelling during a pandemic do not fall within any of the insured risks in the Johnson Inc. policies
Out of Country Emergency Medical Insurance Coverage Already in Place
It is important to note that for Out of Country Emergency Medical Insurance, a travel advisory to “Avoid all travel” or “Avoid non-essential travel” will also impact coverage if the advisory is issued before the insured’s departure. Also there are the following MEDOC restrictions:
- Out of country emergency medical coverage is not available if a formal travel advisory is issued before your departure.
Members who book future travel to a location which is currently under a relevant travel advisory (including cruises) will not have medical coverage in these locations if the advisory is still in effect at the time of travel.
If a travel advisory is issued after departure, medical coverage for that location is limited to a period of 10 days from the date of the travel advisory or formal notice was issued, or to a period that is reasonably necessary for you to safely evacuate the country, region or area.
- Because of the advisory to “Avoid all cruise ship travel,” beginning March 9, 2020 customers who depart on a cruise will not have medical coverage.
Doctors of BC members can choose from two exclusive programs offered by Johnson Inc.:
- Emergency Medical Travel Plan
- Trip Cancellation/Interruption Coverage
Emergency Medical Travel MEDOC is an Emergency Medical Travel Plan designed to insure those traveling outside their province of residence. All members and their spouses are eligible to purchase coverage, regardless of age or health.
The MEDOC coverage is a multi-trip annual base plan. Supplemental coverage can also be purchased for longer trips. Here are just some of the special and unique features of MEDOC:
- Covers up to $5,000,000 of emergency medical expenses each time you travel
- Includes Trip Cancellation, Interruption & Delay Insurance up to $8,000/person
- Baggage & Personal Effects benefit up to $1,500/person, maximum $3,000/family
About the Plan
- Annual base plan covers the member and/or spouse and family members for an unlimited number of trips per year, each up to 35 days duration
- Supplemental Plan available in 15 day increments for single trips longer than the 35 day annual plan duration
- Competitive rates and pricing for three health options: Optimum, Preferred and Standard
- Direct claims payment, whenever possible
- Coverage available regardless of age or health status
- Vehicle return
- Bedside transportation for a relative
- Emergency dental care
- And... many additional benefits.
The MEDOC Plan also includes the services of a travel assistance company, Global Excel Management Inc., who provides support through a claims assistant help line. Some of the services provided by Global Excel Management include:
- 24 hour, 7 days-a-week multilingual help line
- Claims assistance and medical monitoring
- Confirmation of coverage
- Direct payment of claims to the Medical Service Provider, whenever possible
- Assistance with replacement of lost travel documents and tickets
- Language assistance and help in obtaining legal services
- Pre-trip planning
Trip interruption/cancellation coverage
Stand-alone Trip Interruption/Cancelation coverage is now available if you already have travel medical coverage and are seeking trip cancelation, interruption and baggage loss coverage only. Contact Johnson Inc. for full details.
For more information, contact Johnson Inc.:
Telephone: 604 881 8840 or 1 866 799 0000
Fax: 604 881 8828
Emergency contact information for MEDOC covered members
In case of a Travel/Medical Emergency, you or someone on your behalf MUST call the MEDOC Claims Assistance Centre prior to treatment or your coverage will be limited.
24 HOUR EMERGENCY HELPLINE
- In Canada/USA: 1 800 709 3420
- Other Countries: 819 566 1002 (collect call)
- Fax Canada/USA: 1 877 566 8723
- Fax outside Canada/USA: 1 819 566 8723